Empire TOTAL WAR | Naval Battle video!!!

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/958390/empire-total-war/videos/ETW_081208.html

looks incredible. anyone else looking forward to naval fighting??

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

That was freaking amazing....

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Naval combat seems a bit too slow-paced for my tastes. I'll stick to the land. Nevertheless, that was good.

CrazyyyDylan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 CrazyyyDylan
Member since 2007 • 726 Posts
Looks amazing to say the least.
redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

Utterly Fantastic.

Hope its a bit faster than Imperial Glories Navel Combat though, that was quite painful.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

*splooge*

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mjarantilla

Naval combat seems a bit too slow-paced for my tastes. I'll stick to the land. Nevertheless, that was good.

Technoweirdo

Since when was Total War NOT slow paced?

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dreams-Visions

Utterly Fantastic.

Hope its a bit faster than Imperial Glories Navel Combat though, that was quite painful.

redstormrisen
I get the feeling it'll feel just right.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
from the makers of .... Rome: Total Bore
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

Hol-lee crap.

It's looks ok, I guess.

Hitman533

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hitman533
Member since 2008 • 642 Posts
Woah , awesome I can't wait.
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kez1984

from the makers of .... Rome: Total Boreclembo1990

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rometotalwar/index.html

This game?

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clembo1990

[QUOTE="clembo1990"]from the makers of .... Rome: Total BoreKez1984

This game?

really, really not my cup of tea. I'm more fond of resource RTS's

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
This game is more than just naval battles right? That looked amazing though.
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kez1984
[QUOTE="Kez1984"]

[QUOTE="clembo1990"]from the makers of .... Rome: Total Boreclembo1990

This game?

You get resources in TB and it reflects the battle and Real Time Combat, most people set it on automate though, you could even just turn real time off altogether and play the game TB.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kez1984

This game is more than just naval battles right? That looked amazing though.dream431ca

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clembo1990
[QUOTE="clembo1990"][QUOTE="Kez1984"]

[QUOTE="clembo1990"]from the makers of .... Rome: Total BoreKez1984

This game?

You get resources in TB and battle and Real Time Combat, at least, I presume this will be. It worked excellent in Rome: Total War.

*screen*

I have played it :P I don't mind turned based either (Homm3 my favorite game ever!) idk its probibly the civ4 ****of the TB gameplay that annoyed me most. Then the units, i know they are accurate historically but their animations are a bit clunky. Also i'm a rubbish strategist when it comes to unit positioning. Send 'em all in in a big heap i say :lol:

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clembo1990
Though i don't like the gameplay this game looks bloody amazing graphics-wise.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]This game is more than just naval battles right? That looked amazing though.Kez1984

YAY!

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
:o That looks amazing.
ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ClawKiller
Member since 2005 • 666 Posts
GOTY 09.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
That was epic. :o
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
Amazing.
redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 redstormrisen
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"]

Utterly Fantastic.

Dreams-Visions

I get the feeling it'll feel just right.

From that video, so do I.

Being a bit pessimistic with this though.

One thing I hope is improved on it the godawfuldiplomacy from Medieval 2. It seemed pretty broken to me.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kez1984

Technoweirdo

You can adjust the speed of the game while you play.

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts

Looked brilliant. It's certainly a refreshing addition to the Total War series, it's a shame they didn't show sharks devouring the victims, like CA have said in interviews. Allegedly they're integrating a scorched earth policy into the gameplay (on the strategy map), so instead of choosing England first, I'll perhaps go for Russia. :)

I'm not sure I'll want to adopt Nelson's famous Trafalgar strategy though, way to risky. It seems that the wind could make the battles more dynamic, in previous total war's (on land), I always had horses at flanks, men in middle, rinse and repeat.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

Kez1984

nice.
redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 redstormrisen

Looked brilliant. It's certainly a refreshing addition to the Total War series, it's a shame they didn't show sharks devouring the victims, like CA have said in interviews. Allegedly they're integrating a scorched earth policy into the gameplay (on the strategy map), so instead of choosing England first, I'll perhaps go for Russia. :)

I'm not sure I'll want to adopt Nelson's famous Trafalgar strategy though, way to risky. It seems that the wind could make the battles more dynamic, in previous total war's (on land), I always had horses at flanks, men in middle, rinse and repeat.

gingerdivid

Im going to have to try it at least once. Im sure lining my ships up and sailing past the enemy ships in a line will get boring quite quickly :P But as for Faction. I have always been the England first. I can't see that changing anytime soon.
[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

Kez1984

O:

For some reason that didn't occur to me.

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gingerdivid
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

redstormrisen

Im going to have to try it at least once. Im sure lining my ships up and sailing past the enemy ships in a line will get boring quite quickly :P But as for Faction. I have always been the England first. I can't see that changing anytime soon.
[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

Kez1984

O:

Nelson was a nutcase, think about it, logically, how on earth would that have worked? Two columns charging a concave wall of canons, but somehow, he won, without loosing a ship.

I'll probably give it a go on skirmish mode :P

England in this game will be the equivalent of the Byzantines in Med 2 and the Romans in Rome, as the English were arguably the strongest in the time period (the french were very close though), so potentially, England could be very easy this time.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

Kez1984

:lol: Ah, I forgot you could do that! *slaps self*

StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
I really like the fire effects.
Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

gingerdivid

[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

Kez1984

O:

Nelson was a nutcase, think about it, logically, how on earth would that have worked? Two columns charging a concave wall of canons, but somehow, he won, without loosing a ship.

England in this game will be the equivalent of the Byzantines in Med 2 and the Romans in Rome, as the English were arguably the strongest in the time period (the french were very close though), so potentially, England could be very easy this time.

imo the idea was to try and get the guns on both sides of his ships into action.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mjarantilla

I'm not sure I'll want to adopt Nelson's famous Trafalgar strategy though, way to risky. It seems that the wind could make the battles more dynamic, in previous total war's (on land), I always had horses at flanks, men in middle, rinse and repeatgingerdivid

I always used Alexander the Great as inspiration for my basic Total War strategy: massing all of my strongest troops on just one flank, then just "rolling up" their line from that flank with overwhelming force while pulling my other flank back.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Wow thanks alot Dreams, you just made me mess myself in work I hope you're happy!
redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 redstormrisen
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

gingerdivid

[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

Kez1984

O:

I believe it was acombinationof the poor gunnery of the Spanish and French ships combined with the sheersurpriseof what Nelson was doing. Still, it worked :P

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"][QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

redstormrisen

[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

Kez1984

O:

I believe it was acombinationof the poor gunnery of the Spanish and French ships combined with the sheersurpriseof what Nelson was doing. Still, it worked :P

The french/spanish fleet were firing at the small target of the front of the english ships. The english fired point blank broadsides at their opponents when they closed while cutting the opposing fleet in half. So in the ensuing fight the British fleet could bring their full firepower to bare while the French could not.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

I'm not sure I'll want to adopt Nelson's famous Trafalgar strategy though, way to risky. It seems that the wind could make the battles more dynamic, in previous total war's (on land), I always had horses at flanks, men in middle, rinse and repeatmjarantilla

I always used Alexander the Great as inspiration for my basic Total War strategy: massing all of my strongest troops on just one flank, then just "rolling up" their line from that flank with overwhelming force while pulling my other flank back.

pin with infantry and rout em with cavalry!
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gingerdivid
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

I'm not sure I'll want to adopt Nelson's famous Trafalgar strategy though, way to risky. It seems that the wind could make the battles more dynamic, in previous total war's (on land), I always had horses at flanks, men in middle, rinse and repeatmjarantilla

Whilst I've read a lot about Alexander (the story about his horse is quite a fascinating one), I've yet to read up on his tactics. I know that he used the elite Companion Cavalary in an effective way, often finding holes in an enemy front line, but that's the limit of my knowledge. I naturally started with Hannibal, as many often regard him as the "first true military tactitian" (although, the claim isn't entirely true). Using his Cannae tactics in Rome: Total War proved to be too much micro management, whilst being surprisingly uneffective.

Despite being aware of famous tactics, my strategy was still based on the weaknesses of the A.I, so despite my noble intentions, I still used a cheap way out :P

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
it's kind of like age of prirates
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Don't think my 4400+ / 8600GT / 2GB/ XP Pro Rig can handle this :(

Maybe on medium/low.

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gingerdivid
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="gingerdivid"][QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

blue_hazy_basic

[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

Kez1984

O:

The french/spanish fleet were firing at the small target of the front of the english ships. The english fired point blank broadsides at their opponents when they closed while cutting the opposing fleet in half. So in the ensuing fight the British fleet could bring their full firepower to bare while the French could not.

Also, the English blockaded the ports where these ships were situated, so there was no effective training. There was a crippling virus circulating amongst the French/Spanish fleet, I've forgotten the name of it though.

The only ship that did actively prepare and practice was incidentally the one that took on HMS victory, which culminated with Nelson's eventual death thanks to a wound he sustained in that mini face off (by a French sharpshooter).

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kez1984

Maybe on medium/low.

angelkimne

Upgrade your card and maybe another 1gb of ram and you should be fine.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
[QUOTE="angelkimne"]

Maybe on medium/low.

Kez1984

Upgrade your card and maybe another 1gb of ram and you should be fine.

Yeah..

Looking to get a 8800GT. But don't you have to have identical RAM for all slots for it to run in Dual Channel Mode or something ???

I might aswell just buy a 3Gig set.

tibicina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tibicina
Member since 2005 • 927 Posts
WOW, the best total war yet. Consoles have nothing on this.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

:shock: AMAZING!

Its good to be a hermit!

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kez1984

WOW, the best total war yet. Consoles have nothing on this.tibicina

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24172.html#comments_top

They have this soon to be ridiculously over-scored game.

tibicina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tibicina
Member since 2005 • 927 Posts

[QUOTE="tibicina"]WOW, the best total war yet. Consoles have nothing on this.Kez1984

Halo Wars? Really, now? Can you command an army of 4000 troops in Halo Wars? Does it have the depth of gameplay, or the technical achievements brought forth by the Total War series? Halo Wars seems to me like a cut and paste RTS, the games are far to different to compare.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

Looked boring to me.

Ill stick with halo wars for my RTS shenanigans.

skiddy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 skiddy666
Member since 2006 • 209 Posts
My most anticipated game, looks as epic as ever.
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kez1984
[QUOTE="Kez1984"]

[QUOTE="tibicina"]WOW, the best total war yet. Consoles have nothing on this.tibicina

Halo Wars? Really, now? Can you command an army of 4000 troops in Halo Wars? Does it have the depth of gameplay, or the technical achievements brought forth by the Total War series? Halo Wars seems to me like a cut and paste RTS, the games are far to different to compare.

It does look pretty crap in comparison and I agree, it does look kinda copy-paste, but you can bet it will get over-rated and probably sell more due to the label.